Monday, July 14, 2008

Feedback, please? :-)

One of Daddy's friends came into the shoppe a few days ago. He'd seen me a while back when I was babysitting Alexis in there, and he'd heard about a "job" opportunity that he thought I might be interested in. Mike and I are thinking about it.
We'd be relief parents. Basically, we'd go to a foster home one night a week and one weekend a month, allowing the full-time foster home parents some time for themselves or a chance to get things done that they couldn't do with a lot of little kids. Food is provided, and we'd be given compensation. The kids range from six months to 11 or 12 years old...no teens. The system tries to keep families together, too, so there would probably be siblings in the mix.
We're still thinking and talking about it. It would be a huge responsibility. I don't even know what sort of certification or qualifications we might need, but the possibility is there. I just wanted to throw it out there to see what y'all think...so, any thoughts?

3 comments:

Katherine said...

I think that would be an amazing opportunity for y'all! A huge responsibility, yes, but with your love of children & patience & all around sweet nature, I think that it's something that y'all could definitely handle & really enjoy. :) Let us know what ends up happening!

Songbird154 said...

I agree with Kat.

But it also could be very aggravating/stressful when added into possible stresses you might already have. Those nights that you have to go to the foster home, if you had a long, tiring day at the shoppe then you might grow to resent going to be a relief parent instead of going home and watching a movie or reading a book.

But then again, it could be the most rewarding experience of your life.

PenelopeDawn said...

I don't think I'd resent it. It'd be like babysitting, but with more kids, and I've done that before. I think the hard part would be getting attached, and then having to say goodbye when they get adopted. And that is what I'm hesitating over...I don't know how I'll handle that part.