Sunday, February 20, 2011

Adoption

I feel like I have been absolutely bombarded lately with pushes to adopt.  I still desperately want to have biological children, but I want to adopt, too.  Sara keeps telling me I should just do it.  Caitlin tells me I have so much love to give & she is anxious for me to have kids to give it to.  It REALLY angers me that single people are banned from adopting in Arkansas.  At Covenant this morning, my friend Matt talked about having been adopted, and that being chosen, being wanted, broke a generational cycle of fear and feelings of abandonment and inadequacy.  He said when he got up that God told him to share, both to get it out, and because somebody in the crowd needed to hear it.  The message I got wasn't the one he thought he was giving (though I heard that one, too).  The one I heard was that I have the capacity in my heart to break that cycle for someone(s).  And I want to.  One of the blogs I read had this little snippet last night: "I was discussing adoptions with my 1st grade students, as a new girl was obviously adopted.  When a boy asked what adoption meant, the girl said 'It means you grew in your mommy’s heart instead of her stomach!'"
There's a child or two growing in mine right now and I hope I don't have to wait too long to hold them in my arms and show them love.

2 comments:

Songbird154 said...

If I'm reading the adoption requirements correctly... I no longer think that you have to be married in Arkansas. I think it's you can be single or married, but if you're married, it has to have been for over two years. And divorced persons have to have been divorced for a solid year.

You just can't be COHABITING.

You can be single or you can be married, but you can't just be living with someone.


Maybe I'm reading this wrong, buuuut... maybe not?

Songbird154 said...

http://adoptionact.familycouncilactioncommittee.com/AdoptionResourceGuide.pdf