Saturday, July 30, 2011

So, what comes next?

The day after my last post, my Grandma went home.  She'd been surrounded by family all day.  My parents and brother and I were here, and Caitlin and her family had joined us for the holiday.  The Smiths left around 4pm, just after I'd given Grandma a dose of her morphine & re-situated her in her bed.  My family sat down to relax a little then, and watched an episode of "Eureka" on Netflix.  I checked on Grandma around 5 or 5:15, and around 5:30, we heard her cough a little.  I went in at 6 to shift her again & give her another round of morphine.  She'd had a lot of pain in her left arm & hadn't been letting us move it...she'd clench it against her side so that her shoulder wouldn't move...but when I shifted her, it moved freely and she didn't react, and I realized in that moment that she was gone.  The first few hours of realization were hard, but it quickly sunk in that she was finally pain-free and happy.  She'd gone home to be with her Savior and her "Honey Boy" (my Granddaddy!) and everyone she loved that she'd outlived.

We buried her in Fort Worth, next to Granddaddy.  Her service was beautiful and just what she'd have wanted.  We managed to get word out to our old friends from Rosemont and many of them came.  It was really a wonderful little reunion, even with the sadness of missing her.  A family friend, Jack, officiated the service and it was just lovely.  I'll never watch "Yankee Doodle Dandy" again without thinking of Grandma whenever the song "Mary's A Grand Old Name" plays.

I'm looking to move home now.  I'm still trying to decide whether to make the move now, or wait until after my brother's wedding & Christmas are over.  Either way, I'll be headed home SOON.  I just don't have any idea what I'll do there!  I need a job, but I don't know what I want to do.  I'll figure it out, though.  Y'all be praying about that...I've got to find something quickly!  For now, I'm babysitting for one of my mom's co-teachers.  She's my age & has a 4-month old daughter named Angie.  Angie is precious & her bright smile has just lit up this house so beautifully.  It isn't a lot of money, though, nor is it every day, so I've got to find something that will allow me to keep up with my bills.  I wonder what kind of market I could find in Fort Worth for au pairs...I do so love babies & children.  Oh well...now that I'm beginning to ramble, I'll sign off & head for bed.  I've got company coming this weekend, so I need to sleep!

No comments: