Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

Sunday night, Abby (my calico) got herself trapped behind the water heater. Thankfully, I'd fallen asleep at the computer while checking email, or I'd not have heard her crying until the morning. Anyway...my house was built by an idiot, and so there was absolutely no way to get to her. The water heater is in this extremely tight little nook, with a counter over the top of it, and the washing machine in front of it. It was like 2:30 Monday morning, actually, and Mike was going to have to get up for an 8am class, but I had to get him up to help me, which wasn't fun. He, in his half-asleep state, wasn't exactly thinking clearly when he got into the laundry room to see what he could do, and tried to just pull the water heater out. That burst one of the pipes, so HOT water started spraying every where. I had to call my dad and wake him up at like 3am, and Mike flipped the breaker to cut off the power...we didn't want ourselves or Abby getting electrocuted. I really thought she'd died at one point...she quit making any noises or responding to me at all. Not cool. My dad came over and we got everything unplugged, turned the water off, and turned the power back on, and Mike got the hose and hooked it up to the water heater so it could drain properly. We then had to prop open the carport door and start sweeping frantically to try to push all that water out of the house. While the door was open, the mosquitoes attacked. Once we got the heater drained, we were able to pull it out and get Abby out...she was soaking wet, dirty, and not very happy, but she was okay. Oh, and our AC is out too, so it was crazy hot, which just added to the appeal to the damn bugs. Mike got a few on his arm, and Daddy didn't get any, but I'm covered...even the bottom of my feet (I have NO idea how they got there.) Anyway...Abby's fine, and has been laying in the most open places she can find, which is not normal for her. We're having to shower at my parents' house until we replace the pipes for the water heater and get it reinstalled. The biggest problem is these stupid bug bites. Ugh.
When I get to Heaven, the first thing I'm going to ask God about is why He created mosquitoes...I really have never been able to figure out any purpose for them. Daddy used to tell me that birds and spiders eat them, but birds eat other things, and I could do without spiders, too. He said the other day that mosquitoes were put on the Earth to bite the dinosaurs and then get trapped in amber to preserve dinosaur DNA (a la Jurassic Park) but I don't really give a damn about dinosaurs when I'm covered in red, burning, itching bumps.
So...I had a GREAT weekend...I'm just glad the cat's okay. And I thank God for Benadryl Cream.
:-)

No comments: