Monday, September 22, 2008

A little light in the darkness

An absolutely incredible lady read a poem this morning at church after Mike went forward requesting prayers. She is always encouraging, anyway, but this morning, her words touched me in a far more special way. She came out of some really dark places in the past. In 1983 she wrote the following poem, which she offered this morning as an encouragement to Mike and me. It is untitled.

My feet have wandered through the night
and walked the valleys deep,
My mind has questioned all that is
and thought my God asleep.

Amazed,
I've watched the hand of God
purge the darkness from inside;
Emptied,
I've seen Him remove the mountains
and lift up His Son who died.

His hands outstretched He catches my tears
as the light begins to flow;
And I feel Him speak into my heart:
"It's all right, my child. I know."

~Jeanne Hicks Barnett, 1983
Hebrews 4:15-16

No comments: