My friend Nakeia posted a note on Facebook with a list of things that she wants to accomplish in the coming year. Not "New Year's Resolutions," per say, but just things that will improve her life day to day and in the long run. Lots of what she posted applies to me, too, so I copied (and in some cases, tweaked,) the items that I'd like to accomplish for myself, and added some, too. Wish me luck, and perhaps offer encouragement :-) There's no particular order here.
1. Read my Bible every day. Strange as it may seem, I'm going to start with Hosea.
2. Find something new everyday in my Bible reading, and journal it.
3. Memorize a verse or passage from my Bible reading (something that sticks out or holds special meaning to me) once a week.
4. Make detailed grocery lists to avoid random purchases that satisfy my immediate hunger. This will also require a meal just before shopping, since food shopping on an empty stomach encourages the impulse purchases.
5. Pay off my credit card in full, by summer, if possible, but certainly by the end of the year.
6. Not use my credit card until it's paid off in full, and then only spend on it what I can pay in full that month.
7. Make and stick to my budget.
8. Save a higher percentage of my income.
9. Lose weight in a healthy fashion.
10. Focus on toning my body between now and early summer, so that I have a decent appearance as a bridesmaid in my oldest friend's wedding.
11. Save enough money to be able to pay for my dress for Kathy's wedding, and the trip to Fort Worth, without racking up any additional credit card debt.
12. Pray every morning and every night, and mean it.
13. Find the little local restaurants and go to them instead of the big chains.
14. Use cash more often. Having been a part of a small business, I know how unfriendly credit cards can be, even to the people receiving the payment...I'd like to pay people in such a way that I know that they are getting every penny they deserve from me.
15. Do less impulse spending. This means less time at Barnes & Noble, Hastings, and clothing stores.
16. Tell people about Jesus, and in such a way to make Him real and accessible to them.
17. Spend time outside as often as possible, be it a five minute walk to the Shoppe or a couple of hours in the park. I need sunshine.
18. Grab a friend or two and go somewhere we've never been.
19. Be honest with myself EVERYDAY.
20. Have better thoughts about people.
21. Banish gossip.
22. Be less afraid of buying music from groups I'm not familiar with. I've never been wrong before...I should trust my instincts more.
23. Buy local art.
24. Save for and buy a potter's wheel and kiln.
25. Take up ceramics again...I loved it, and I don't know why I stopped.
26. Blog more.
27. Save for and buy a Wii system, particularly the Wii Fit, and USE it.
28. Clean and organize my house, and keep it that way.
29. Decorate my house with things I already have and love, and get rid of what I don't need.
30. Start a second blog to document my reading. I read a lot, and have posted my recently read books and comments about them here (in my Extended Info box), as well as what I'm currently reading and what attracted me to it. I want to do this in a more permanent method.
31. Hang up my clothes and put my laundry away as soon as it’s done, and get control of the pile of shoes by the front door somehow.
32. Cook my own meal at least 6 times a week, rather than eating out or depending on my parents.
33. Do the dishes by hand more often, especially since I'll be dirtying more of them.
34. Make up my bed.
35. Spend more time with my Grandma. Maybe surprise her with lunch in the middle of the week from time to time.
36. Control my emotions.
37. Cut back on my caffeine intake.
38. Fast food only a couple of times a month.
39. Practice Italian more and teach myself more of it.
40. Buy fruits and veggies from local farmers whenever I can. Arkansas produce is actually some of the best I've ever had, so why pay Walmart for the cruddy stuff from California?
41. Be patient with people who annoy me.
42. Figure out who I am and accept myself.
43. Define my standards regarding the men I eventually date, and have no fear in asking straightforward questions, no matter the subject. I will not go through another experience like this divorce if I can possibly prevent it.
44. Write handwritten letters to family and friends. USE the tons of stationery that's built up in my desk.
45. Praise God in all things.
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Things I'd Like To Accomplish This Year
Labels:
books,
design,
faith,
healthy living,
house,
just for fun,
life in Searcy,
marriage,
music,
starting over,
tidbits,
vacations
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh this is a wonderful list! Keep us updated on the progress you make in completing it :)
Love you!
I started my book blog last night!
http://thesweetserenityofbooks.blogspot.com
Post a Comment